The first batch I worked up used Accurate 2460. I really wasn’t happy with how that batch shot. My shooting bench setup wasn’t good, and it also revealed just how bad my trigger was on my AR. Shots were all over the place. Those problems have been rectified, and I’m ready to try another batch.
Just like last time, I loaded a batch with Accurate 2460 starting at 23.9 grains running up to 26.3 grains. The Sinterfire instructions suggest using load data for a 55 gr jacketed bullet.
A while back I also mentioned that I would probably never use Hodgdon Varget again. I wasn’t thrilled with how consistently the powder drops sometimes +/- a few tenths of a grain. It generally has to do with how the powder is shaped, and how it fills the cavity. I think the picture below illustrates the problem. The orientation of each granule of powder can affect how it fills a cavity. Each of these pieces of brass are from the same manufacturer, although I suppose there could be variation between lots, but the same powder charge fills each case differently.
Well, I’ve decided that I really like the powder in my .30-06 loads. I’m fine with measuring each charge to make sure they are consistent as I’m not loading hundreds of rounds in that specific caliber. However, I will be loading hundreds of .223 rounds, and I’m certainly not weighing each charge. I still want to give it a fair shake in my 223 loads. If I find that these shoot better with Varget, then I’ll have to do some testing with the powder drop on my Dillon to make sure each drop is consistent.
Hopefully Saturday I’ll get to try these out and see how they group……